Friday 8 April 2011

Comic 883: Pain

Alt text: If it were a two or above I wouldn't be able to answer because it would mean a pause in the screaming.

I recently found an interesting interview with Randall recently, and though a number of things he says slap you across the face, this one quote really stuck out for me:

CA (Interviewer): It reminds me of what Scott McCloud says in "Understanding Comics" about how the simpler the drawings are, the easier it can be for the reader to project themselves into them.

RM: Yeah, it's like Scott Adams never giving Dilbert's boss a name.


Think about that for a second. Is the interviewer's statement actually related to the fact Dilbert's boss never gets named? Why is everyone else named in Dilbert?

Look at this quote as well:

RM: A lot of times the idea of a comic will be, "Wouldn't it be cool if you..." But instead of doing it, I'll draw a comic about it. Like the rollercoaster chess thing – I really wanted to do that. But then I realized, I didn't really want to do it; I wanted to tell the story of having done it.

He skims so close to saying it outright, but he never does. He never quite tells us that xkcd is his little dreamland. That's why he never draws faces - if he drew actual features, he could not project himself and his fantasy figures into the comic. And if he tried to draw himself, well then, he would have to admit that xkcd is his happy place, his hidey-hole. His Sonichu.

So what does this imply about this comic? It implies that Randall wants to act out this scenario at the hospital next time he is asked to rate his pain. Not that he thinks this could happen to someone, not just that he thinks it's funny to take the situation to it's logical extreme, he wants to act this out. He wants to be asked the question, then act scared and say 'one'. He wants someone to comment on how his imagination is 'not normal'. He wants people to think that he's a zany, interesting, deep and thoughtful character.

But he's too scared to do it in reality, because he knows from experience that he will not get the response he desires. So he bottles up his little flights of fancy and casts them out into the ocean of the internet, and in the dark abyssal depths of this ocean it finds its way to his fellows, his companions in fear, who swim in ugly little droves.

And what is it they fear? They fear that will not be known, that the knowledge they have gathered, the towering intellect they believe they have built brick by painstaking brick, will not be acknowledged. That in their introverted little world, no-one will see that they are zany, interesting, deep and thoughtful.

So they read Randall's little missive to the world, and recognition bursts like fire in their minds. In those blank, circular voids they see themselves. It is zany, they think. It is clever, they believe.

But no! This is not their work! Someone else lays claim to it! Someone else, they think, is claiming territory that belongs to them! And around them others have that light of recognition in their eyes! So they rush and clamour like scavengers to claim a little morsel of zaniness.

Get out of my head, Randall! I was just thinking this!

Just like in my favorite show!

Of course, if they'd done it like this...

Here is an anecdote about the pain scale that I've been dying to tell people...

As a real doctor, I understand this completely.

But what to do with Randall, the source, the lone feeder of their malnourished egos? What to do with the one person that you cannot score points from without risk of damaging yourself? Where do you place the person to whom you have submitted yourself entirely?

At the top, of course, at the very top.

Godhood.



BINGO TIME!

Let's have a look:


So close! And despite reams of inane bullshit, no-one lost their cool and told everyone to shut up. We can only dream of what might have been...

16 comments:

  1. The idea that xkcd is Randall's dreamland for acting out fantasy scenarios, makes sense for quite a few - 226 (swingset), 806 (tech support), 413 (new pet). Actually it probably applies to most of his comics.

    But it doesn't explain 879 (lamp). Why the hell did he draw that?

    Inb4 "Randall is gay, lolololol"

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's very close to a redux, Kitten. Watch out.



    What really picked my interest, though, was the first quote. Randall had the opportunity to prove us that he knows at least a simple thing about comics(that giving less features makes characters more relatable and pulls the reader emotionally into the plot), and what he does?



    He shows he's a complete dumbass, that's what.



    Really, the lack of features has NOTHING to do with Dilbert's boss not getting a name. I can't see a single way Dilbert's boss not getting a name makes it any more relatable to the reader. I'd say it has to do with dehumanizing the character, or plainly making it easy to make fun of him; but that's beside the point.



    For years now we've been analyzing xkcd in the hopes that anything of meaningful arrives, and xkcd'd "style" could be something deeper. But, if what Munroe says is any indication, it doesn't. He just sucks at drawing, and the fanbase has given him so much credit he started believe he's good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS.: why Firefox decides I want to give THREE line breaks between my paragraphs, that's anyone's guess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how Pro Mole is the only one that complains or seems to have these comment box problems as of late.

    I see what Randy means about not giving the boss a name, it supposedly makes him more relatable to an audience that can fill in the name of their hated boss.

    So I can see where he's going with it, but a comic is (supposed to be) a visual medium, so I think that argument is bunk.

    lol, Randall's sonichu

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have no idea what redux did, so I don't really know if I'm heading that way...

    Yeah, I thought about nameless boss being a character the reader can replace with their own boss, but really? Just because a character has a name, doesn't mean you don't relate them to people you know. It doesn't even make it more difficult. I think he remains nameless just so it's easier to rag on him for being a dull-witted corporate shell of a man.

    And Mole, the rest of that interview is interesting reading:

    CA: Have you ever played around with non-stick figure drawing?

    RM: Yeah, but I'm not very good at it. [laughs] It's really hard! And as I've mentioned, I'm really lazy. [laughs]

    ...

    RM: [...]You know, I actually spend a surprising amount of time on each "xkcd" comic, but I watch other people who do comics, and they'll have one panel that they work on for two or three hours. And I just don't think I would have the patience to sustain that for a poop joke.

    RM: [...]If I see a bunch of really negative stuff, I get self-conscious and I don't think I draw better, I just draw less. It's the periods where I get worried that I start to draw really formulaic stuff. And whenever I snap out and that draw things for the fun of it, I draw things that surprise me. I was kind of in a funk for a while, and I drew a comic about a guy throwing a boomerang over and over, and it just cracked me up. I didn't even check what people were saying about it – I didn't care, because I was having fun. I find that the less I look at the feedback, the more fun I'm having, and the better the strip is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read the whole post yet (I will, I promise), but I have to pull you up on the Dilbert thing. Scott Adams has explicitly stated (in the book "7 Years of Highly Defective People" I believe) that the PHB doesn't have a name because he is 'the every-boss' and that the reader is supposed to relate their own manager to him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fair enough, I'll take your word for it.

    It seems strange though. Whether a character is named or not makes no difference (to me, at least) as to whether I relate them to real people. I think it's something that sounds like it should work, but doesn't change things in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It does sounds like it can work, but before today, I had no idea that he was never named. I always thought that I could relate Wally to more people anyway.

    So while the word of god says one thing, in reality I don't think that device works (anecdotally anyway) in a visual medium. It probably works much better in a purely written format, I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think if you can see a face or specify character traits, a name is irrelevant. For xkcd, the Faceless Void could be anybody and so we tend to put someone in there to fill the gap (normally Randall himself, in my case). However, he named brunette girl 'Megan' on a few separate occasions, and now she is Megan forever. I guess the name thing is really relevant for xkcd.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wouldn't this be better as a "My Hobby" comic? That way it could just be a single panel, and the joke would be short and to the point.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the most telling thing in all of this is the fact that he gets self-conscious when he reads negative reviews. It's no wonder he never improves. It's a major sign of immaturity if you're not able to take criticism without just getting upset about it. I mean, either the criticism is unfounded and you can safely ignore it as meaningless, or it is founded and is worth thinking about. Even if it is presented in a mean and aggressive sort of way, if the criticism is based on real problems, then it is constructive and you can learn from it.

    The fact that his degree is in Applied Physics means that he likely didn't take a creative writing class in college, and therefore never learned how to accept constructive criticism. In the "sciences" there is really only right or wrong, so no criticism (unless you are wrong.) If he had taken some English courses in college maybe he'd be more equipped to handle the criticism that is coming his way about his comic. It's quite ironic when you think about it. He always lauds the hard sciences as the purest and greatest forms of study, when the thing that would have benefited him the most in his years as a webcomic artist would have been the most basic of classes for a "liberal arts major."

    ReplyDelete
  12. The biggest problem with this comic is that RM is setting up another fake situation to mock. There are some problems with the pain scale, but in my experience, they never ask you to rate your actual pain vs. the worst pain you could ever imagine--because that would be stupid. The definition for the highest value on the pain is usually given as "the worst pain you've experienced."

    ReplyDelete
  13. ".....So he bottles up his little flights of fancy and casts them out into the ocean of the internet, and in the dark abyssal depths of this ocean it finds its way to his fellows, his companions in fear, who swim in ugly little droves......"

    The snot green sea. The scrotum tightening sea.
    The sea roared like a tiger. The sea whispered in your ear like a friend telling you secrets. The sea clinked like small change in a pocket. The sea thundered like avalanches. The sea hissed like sandpaper working on wood. The sea sounded like someone vomiting. The sea was dead silent

    ReplyDelete
  14. Professional Mole said:

    "....What really picked my interest, though, was the first quote. Randall had the opportunity to prove us that he knows at least a simple thing about comics(that giving less features makes characters more relatable and pulls the reader emotionally into the plot), and what he does?...."

    You mean: 'piqued' my interest?
    You are using the word 'features' as a countable noun - therefore you must write 'fewer' not 'less'.

    I's a pedantic cunt. Innit?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ellipses are comprised of three periods only, ALT-F. Any more is just vulgar.

    Innit?

    ReplyDelete
  16. You might not have caught it, but I did stealthily tell everyone to shut the fuck up. There was a lot of this person stfu, and that person stfu. But I told everyone to stfu ... about Peter O'Toole anyways ...

    Check my post @ April 12, 2011 12:51 PM.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.