Sunday 10 July 2011

xkcd Forums Bingo: Week 6

917 - Hofstadter

A good serving of squares from the forumites. Sadly no bingo. In short, the thread was everything the haters hate about the xkcd fanbase (minus the GOOMH, which was mysteriously missing). Here are some quotes I'd like to share with you:

Some people thought the alt text was another clever acronym. dumbness ensues:

"There seems to be another acronym in the alt text:

TITRIOTSRJ: the 'tit riot' part makes perfect sense but what does the 'SRJ' mean?"


"tit riot self referential joke"

"Tit riots are jay.
Jays and tits may be more closely related than we thought."


And then there was this... wave of nerd-panderization about Gödel, Escher Bach, which the comic didn't even directly reference. Let's see here...

"Douglas Hofstadter is god."

"Anyone who hasn't read GEB is of course, living in sin."

"I am a better, nicer, more practical, and happier person because I read Gödel, Escher Bach and I am a Strange Loop. They may very well change your whole outlook on reality. Thick as it gets, but more than worth the investment."

All that said, there were some good parts.

"I am glad that you read it. You are now better, nicer, more practical and happier.
I will remain in sin. I don't want to read it."


918 - Google+


Nothing happened here, the xkcd fans just spent the whole thread talking about Google+. By my guestimate, about 1% of the discussion was about the comic. Oh and speaking of guestimates.

919 - Tween Bromance


And in this thread they spent most of the time talking about words. And someone said the comic's title reminds them of the Lady Gaga song.

I don't know why I'm still doing this. Maybe one day I'll explain why.

8 comments:

  1. Because you're waiting for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did the disappearance of the forum link have any effect on the threads?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I assume you're suggesting that the disappearance of a forum link made the threads less bingo-friendly. That theory doesn't quite work, because the link disappeared when 919 went up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way, the most recent comic was one of the worst in history. I f not THE worst.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what has become of this once active site...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too am sad to see what's happening to this site. I suppose if I wrote the occasional review...

    But I can rarely articulate enough hate to write a review. I.e. I usually know that a comic sucks, but I can't explain what's wrong with it. So don't expect any more reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Leahcim

    No, 924 is the worst.

    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I kind of liked that one. Except, of course, it hardly reflects real life and there would be absolutely no way that that sort of thing would ever happen. But it's a penis joke! What more could you want?

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.