Monday 21 March 2011

Comic 875: Randall learns... comedy?

Alt text: 2017 called, but I couldn't understand what they were saying over all the screams.
Well, fuck. This appears to be a reasonable comic. He's taken an old joke format, and modified it in an unexpected way. Hell, it's even on-topic and relevant. The artwork is as shitty as always - that is the worst excuse for a t-shirt I have ever seen, I have no idea what is meant to be on the floor (decapitated cat?), and I'm sure he's re-using the chair and desk from recent comics, but there's an actual joke involved. Also, the guy calls Megan an asshole, and that's not something you see very often. The alt-text isn't great, but it's passable.

Perhaps this is to do with his recent radiation chart, where he has collaborated with someone better than himself to make a fairly good, informative poster, even if it is a little rough around the edges. Has someone kicked him out of his little rut and forced him to interact with the world? Or is this just a random blip?

Whichever it is, I can't bring myself to hate this one. It's still lazy and terribly drawn, and I didn't laugh, but I smiled a little. Just a little.

REDDIT WATCH: This comic was very likely inspired by the recent radiation chart, so nothing from Reddit. 'Inspiration' factor: 0%

BINGO TIME!

Another failed attempt at cheating. 


How are you failing at this? I've even been quite generous and included the loud-typing rant as a square. Anyway, were it not for that cheaty-post this would have been the worst effort yet. I may have to update it to take into account the recent lack of Megdall fanfic.

EDIT: Hah! Missed the fact that cheaty-post was actually a limerick. It was pretty good as well! Still no bingo though.

14 comments:

  1. I agree, the turn he takes in frame 2 actually comes across as *gasp* clever and unexpected. Also exhibits awareness of Haiti, which many Japanophiles seem to think is some kind of food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haiti = pile of rubble

    Haiti (post 2010) = pile of rubble (moved around some)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked this comic. The guy gets a zinger on the girl, the punchline hits fast and hard, and there's no superfluous text. Also, Randall is referencing current events that are actually current. Nice to know he can still amuse now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same basic joke as that "my dad died you could have saved him" one but still pretty good. If I were nitpicking I would point out that people don't usually throw out t-shirts in two years? But the point is Megan gets told, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think he is throwing it out, to be fair. I think that is meant to be his other clothes on the floor.

    Missed the similarity to the older joke, but as had been pointed out, this one is an improvement on it.

    Randall did good, but then again if you throw enough shit at the wall, some of it will stick.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry I didn't mean to say that it looked like he was throwing it out. What I meant was: if he had it two years ago, why would she expect him to not have it now?

    But it's a non-issue so whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I live and die for bingo. what ur problem

    (check "Rob is REALLY fat"; your post has to be the most triumphant example ever)

    Really, though, deep down inside, I think you're hurting him and he just wants you to stop. Let's all have a moment of respect for Rob.

    Who am I kidding?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Patience, Mike. Let the comment thread run its course...

    @Acosta - Oh yeah, that does make sense now. Like you said though, non-issue.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's okay to like an XKCD once in a while. It helps keep the hate fresh.

    I'm having trouble deciding if I want to call you Kitten or KOC. Term of endearment, or slang for male reproductive organ. Take your pick.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Probably best to go with Kitten, as I frequently change the second part.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kitten,

    I really enjoy reading your reviews in general. They are insightful, make points directly and don't cause me pain to read. I have actually begun exclusively visiting this site for my xkcd sucks needs. Thank you muchly for providing a somewhat coherent form of criticism for xkcd.

    A pity that this was actually a vaguely funny comic but you win some and lose some.

    - board

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had the same thought as Acosta; so he's just supposed to throw the shirt away? And it's a minor issue in a decent (for once) xkcd. The larger issue is why Randy chose Three Wolf Moon as his example of a passe trend. It's an awful choice.

    People bought/wore Three Wolf Moon ironically. The message you wanted to send with TWM wasn't "I'm in touch with the ever-changing foibles of the fashion world." It was "I'm making fun of people who sincerely think TWM is a cool design". Irony doesn't go out of style like a Prada handbag. As long as mainstream opinion doesn't embrace TWM as a sincerely cool design, you can keep wearing it ironically for years.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @boardentity - Thanks! I never expected that sort of reaction here. Where all the haters at?

    @16:12 - Fair point, but as a minor defence for Randall I personally haven't heard the words 'three moon wolf' for about 2 years. It feels like something that's been and gone, even if it's never really become outdated as such.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.