Wednesday 23 March 2011

Comic 876: Randall learns about fucking nothing at all

Alt text: Socrates could've saved himself a lot of trouble if he'd just brought a flashlight, tranquilizer gun, and a bunch of rescue harnesses.

Fucking hell, it appears normal service has resumed with a vengeance. And here I was hoping that Randy might improve. Where the fuck to start with this one? There’s just too many things wrong. I don’t know where to start!

Okay, okay, ‘artwork’ first. This is the third appearance of that fucking desk/computer/swivel chair ensemble, although he’s replaced the flatscreen monitor with a CRT one. Why did he do that? And where is that telephone located? Is it meant to be a telephone box? He can’t be ringing from home, because who has a phone that nowadays? Also, there’s no reference to anything newer than The Republic. I fucking swear, he’s got a stack of buffer comics piled up for when he can’t think of anything relevant. He must be running low if this one made it.

Oh God, the actual content. It’s the very dregs of teenage pop-philosophy, executed in the most horrifically inept way, just so he can make a joke about sending a search-and-rescue team to Plato’s Cave. That was the joke he wanted to make, and this is how he decided to do it.

Think about that for a moment, before we move on.

The first panel is fairly innocuous. It’s a guy in some mystic whitespace land, holding a phone oddly, saying he is trapped. There is even a little twist in the phone cord. For Randall, it’s practically a masterpiece.

Then that second panel. She guesses that the ‘splotches of light’ of light are his ‘eyeballs’? What? What the fuck? How…? How is the brain ‘seeing’ anything? Why can it see the eyeballs? How the fuck did she work that out? I’ll tell you how she worked it out, Randall needed her to work it out, so she fucking did! Webcomics, eh? How fucking easy are they?

But then we dig deeper. We’re through the confusion and into wince-inducing life ‘advice’ when she explains to us that she is talking to a ‘brain’, and that he isn’t trapped and he should ‘experience reality’.  Maybe you could also tell us how beautiful sunsets are, Randall, you lazy fucking hack.

And we hit the bottom, the true failure of the comic. That punchline, prefaced by some Matrix shit. And worse, she refuses to help him out of Plato’s Cave. A cave that is a metaphor for the philosopher’s duty to society, a duty to fucking help people get out of the cave and see the truth. And because Socrates and Plato were mystics to the core, they believed the material world to be the cave, and their spiritual Realm of Forms to be ‘reality’. Randy has got it completely back to front.

So Randy, you wanted to make a joke about Plato’s Cave.

Do you even know what the fuck it is about? Do you?

And fuck that bland, worthless piece of shit alt-text. Just fuck it.

REDDIT WATCH: And fuck Reddit. I don't even care where he got this. Fuck everything.

Artist's Corner:
Capn once again sends a picture my way, with no credit this time so I'm assuming it's his.  


So I get that there's an apartment on fire and a guy is calling room number 911. Beyond that I have no idea what is going on. Anyone have an explanation, or is Capn trolling me in some obscure fashion?

BINGO TIME!

We have a first! Someone has got the middle square, and it's Capn, who makes up for his terrible comic with the tasteless "Flacial: a slow-moving money shot." But is it enough to get bingo?


No, it isn't.

16 comments:

  1. Also IIRC the point of the cave is that it you get *out* of it by questioning and doing philosophy. So he got the wrong idea for the cave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, the thing he's talking about is Cartesian skepticism, not Plato's cave (which is not about the inability of the senses to perceive reality so much as the inability of reality to reflect the ideal).

    Also the dialogue really bothers me. If you hear someone saying "I can only see two spots of light" the first thing you think is - not - "Your eyeballs?" because that's completely nonsensical. And if it's a dark room they wouldn't be "light" anyway". If you're going to have the operator be the "straight man" you can't have her clued in on the gag from the start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sed judico homines esse23 March 2011 at 16:28

    Anonymous gets the Descartes/Plato distinction right. Randall is a fucking moron. Perhaps if he spent more time reading rather than bashing the humanities, he might have a modicum of critical capacity beyond "if it ain't numbers and algorithms, it ain't natural!"

    This was an excellent review, by the way. It got to the heart of why this comic truly sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comic just made me rage the moment I read the second panel, and I just got more and more angry as I read on. Haven't got this annoyed at XKCD for quite a while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this one really got you going :)

    Keep up the good work, it's nice having an alternative to xkcdsucks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Kitten: I like your style. You keep writing, and I'll keep reading.

    If you don't mind my asking, what made you decide you wanted to do your own XKCD sucks? I mean, beyond the obvious things like Rob isn't interested in a timely schedule or direct critiques anymore, and the fact that Carl has gone away, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks!

    I am writing a thesis that is due in just over a month. This is my way of procrastinating while still typing words into a computer. I have a horrible feeling Capn's countdown is right on the money for when the time-pressure really kicks in.

    Also, it's kinda fun and I felt like starting a blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nothing like rationalizing your procrastination!

    Good luck on the thesis though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Huh, that is special.
    911. 9/11. One tower, wreckage beside it, it'll be right down...
    Took me a while to piece that together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This one really bothers me because the first panel shouldn't follow into the second. "Distorted splotches of light" != eyeballs, that description makes no sense. Even if a brain could see, eyeballs are neither transparent nor luminous. The only way she could figure the connection between "splotches" and eyeballs is... if she was a character in an xkcd, I guess. And that's not exactly a signal of verisimilitude.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am treating 911 as the object he has called and am representing it as the North Tower of the WTC on 9/11/2001 just before 10:28 AM.

    I was surprised so many people didn't get it. I am now even more convinced that Randall needs an editor. On a related note, I'm not as funny as I think I am.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, I guess now that a decade has passed, it's no longer too soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Capn was making WTC jokes on 9/11/2001 just before 10:28 AM.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Not only was I making WTC jokes then, they also would sometimes involve John F. Kennedy Jr or Gary Condit.

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Pro Mole: Yeah, I'm with you on that. I mean, other comics have made me angrier (ZING!) but no comic has given me more of a confused "what the fuck" moment than this one. This might be one of the worst comics he's ever written actually. When I try to think about a comic that made less sense than this one... I find myself having trouble.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.