Tuesday 3 May 2011

Comic 893: 65 years of graphs

Alt-text: The universe is probably littered with the one-planet graves of cultures which made the sensible economic decision that there's no good reason to go into space--each discovered, studied, and remembered by the ones who made the irrational decision.

Oh good, another graph, this time predicting the deaths of astronauts. I sincerely doubt any of them read xkcd, but if they do, I'm sure they'll appreciate being told they're due to die next year. This is a pretty clumsy method of pointing out the paucity of recent manned missions to other parts of the solar system.

But I get you Randall. I understand the message behind your godawful lament, and I'm with you on this. It really is a shame that nationalistic dickwaving is the only reason anyone has stepped on truly foreign land. We all want to be part of the generation that ushers in Star Trek (well, something similar but less tooth-grindingly ridiculous), but guess what? It ain't going to be us. We don't have the technology or the infrastructure to make space travel useful in any way, unless some pretty spectacular resources are lying around out there.

You were born too early Randall, and you will have to live with that, just like all the rest of us.

JON LEVI'S BINGO TIME!

Once again Jon dives into the deepest abyss...






... and returns with a bingo card clamped between his teeth.

7 comments:

  1. Dammit, was my squidtastic comment in the forum thread lost on you? I am currently in the very zen position of simultaneously hating and not hating xkcd. It isn't even a wavefunction; it's more like doublethink, involuntarily so.

    Which of course allows me to troll the forum threads and be completely legitimate about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're referring to the comment I think you are, you spelled 'utterly' wrong.

    If you're going to troll, I suggest harnessing that 'not hating xkcd' side and posting some ridiculous defence of the comic. They'll snap it up, trust me.

    Either that, or you could mimic/encourage ALT-F.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think Randall is using actuarial tables properly...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Speaking of "nationalistic dickwaving" and "stellar traipse induced bruxing" - or 'gnashionalistic dickwaving', I'm all for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you suppose Osama will replace Che on the t-shirts of the flower children in the upscale neighbourhoods of Riyadh now?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I dunno what you're thinking of, my spelling is always perfect save typos.

    Mine is the "GOOMH 2nd grade" one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Speaking of space, let's talk about Star Wars again.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.