Saturday 28 May 2011

xkcd Forums Bingo: week 0

Hey all, Jon Levi posting here for the first time. Now that I've taken over the bingo slot there will be a few changes:

1) These are now going to go in their own post, not tacked on to an older post. Because otherwise no one will look at them.
2) Score cards will be saved in GIF format, not PNG. This is to reduce file size.
3) Their title now includes the word 'fora', subtly mocking the forumites' pluralization of the word 'forum', using their god Randall's own handwriting.
4) Letters and numbers down the sides make it so that instead of having to say 'I signed up just to say...' we can just say 'B2'.
5) To visually distinguish it from the older style, the 'strike' in each box will be reversed to run from top-left to bottom-right.
6) I like bold type for emphasis. Deal with it.

If anyone needs confirmation, this is for the xkcd forums. I'm still content if Kitten(s) want to do their own thing with the Xkcdsucks comment threads. Now without further delay let's see the damn score cards:

#899 - Number Line






















Quite a lot of people were confused in this thread about what the actual jokes are. It was painful to sift through all the '0.999... = 1' comments. There was something close to a line, if only someone had posted a quote within a quote within a quote within a quote.

#900 - Religions






















A good effort, but nothing even close to a bingo. Seriously, what else am I supposed to say here?

#901 - Temperature






















Another almost-bingo. Why are all the crossed squares on the left hand side? Why do you like the left hand side, forums?

Coming next week: bingo scores for comics 902-904.

9 comments:

  1. You know, I think that the hardest square to get is the "I WISH this was a reference to…" square. I've never seen that one before, but I've seen everything else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think "want a poster" should be changed to "want a poster/shirt." They're similar requests, but posters are only possible for that one comic every two months which is obviously designed to be a poster.

    ReplyDelete
  3. B5 covers an unfulfilled desire for references and pandering (B3 for when it is fulfilled). I've seen it several times, as in these replies to 889. There's also the stream of replies to 802. This overlaps with D1, but D1 generally applies to list-based comics.

    In fact the only one I haven't seen (so far) is A5. No one quite uses that superlative. I might change it to 'Best xkcd in a while.', which I have seen. I also agree that D5 should include shirts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One day, I'm going to troll your bingo and write a post that contains every single square.

    One day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although, WTF does A3 mean?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heh, I'd like to see that...

    You'll have to break a forum rule if you want the red moderator text. Actually writing in red (if you're not a mod) is breaking a rule. The hardest one to get is probably the LONG post. Quotes don't count for that one.

    A3 refers to the thread creation process. Multiple threads are created minutes after the comic goes up. While the others are quickly dusted up by moderators, the 'winning' thread (either the oldest or the one with the most replies, there is no official policy) is often left with a few posts saying it should be the 'winner'. E.g. this and this.

    Captcha: There is no captcha, because I'm a blogmaster now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah. Seen that a lot. Well, given the amount of stuff I'll be mentioning, LONG post would be hard to avoid.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The nuclear chain of command comic seemed like the best one to do this on, but I ran out of time… I'm waiting for a vaguely political and vaguely scientific comic to come out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. After a few iterations of this, you should rearrange the tiles to account for frequency, so that you get a better distribution of hits (instead of them all being on the left side).

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.