Tuesday 14 June 2011

xkcd Forums Bingo: Retro Edition 1

Since bingo seems to be the main thing that happens on this blog now, I'd like to bring you these occasional special editions covering older comics.

#610 - Sheeple


Yeesh, a 13 page argument veering off into politics. This sounds familiar. Yes, 603 (Idiocracy) produced a similar reaction on the forums. And that was only seven comics earlier. It was also my first bingo. No such luck this time.

The D2 box was mentally ticked off many, many times. I skimmed past most of the thread. One wonders why they bother to write such long posts if no one will read them. Then again, I am doing this during my holiday, so…

There may have been an A1, A4 or B4 during all that mind-screw, but it wouldn't have made a difference to the overall bingo-ness. The only single square that could have made a bingo was D3. And whilst a lot of the discussion was prompted by the alt text, no one came out in absolute adoration for it.

And speaking of comics from the 600s, let's have a look at the famous one, yes that one.

#631 - Anatomy Text (Warning: NSFW, especially page 6)



631 was a little before my time, so all of this discussion was brand new to me. I've decided this can be like a forum-watch for those who don't remember it either.

Thankfully there was no D5. We did get a B3 however:
"I have travelled from 1952 to tell you that it's a reference to a picture in one of Kurt Vonnegut's books."

E3 was more disturbing than usual:
"Hi joee. Wanna go to TGIF's? I'll bring the camera ;)"

This is just… what? I'm counting this for E4
"I do believe we have here a return to form for Randall. I wonder how the haters will try to justify their feelings now."

And with regards to A5, someone did actually say 'ever'.

This here is just a funny quote (assuming they were joking):
"FINALLY! An xkcd I can masturbate to. The Internet has came full circle at last!"

Ah, gotta love the conspiracy theorizing:
"Oh hey, what if Randall is planning on redesigning his site and this is his sneaky way of stopping people from viewing his site at work so he can drop IE6 support?"

We almost had a D2 from Fernie, but his reply was only 499 words.

And now to complete our retro edition with one of my favourite threads from when I used to be a fan.

#695 - Spirit


Hmm, closest we've had in a while. But no one felt the need to explain the joke, so that line will never be reached.

A5 was thoroughly covered, as was B4. A lot of people posted replies simply to say that the comic made them sad.

Our regular C1 slot was filled by Fernie. D4 happened because Randall accidentally a verb in the alt text. And A4 happened when someone couldn't believe no one had mentioned Asimov yet. And ooh, we haven't seen E2 in ages.

I still like this thread, which is why I'm not linking to the bad parts. Instead I'll link you to some of the remix comics people made.

Also, this fanfic (a late addition to the thread), was lovely. The xkcd forums aren't all bad.

1 comment:

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.