Friday 3 June 2011

xkcd Forums Bingo: week 1

It's the weekend, and you know what that means - more bingo!

#902 - Darmok and Jalad

Excellent work! It got a bingo in page one! I don't think this has happened before! We so excited!

Here's how it happened:

D4 - okay, this isn't technically referring to a typo, but pedantic - yes, and pointing out a word Randall did wrong - yes.

"At the risk of sounding like the Star Trek fanboy that I am, it's "Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra" not Kalenda's."

B2 and C3 in the same post - I'm quoting it here in its entirety, because it's so cute.

"I've just registered here, only to say the following:
I finally had my 'get out of my head' moment.

Several months ago, I started watching all the ST:TNG episodes, as I only ever saw the last two seasons. Today I have arrived at season 5, episode 2.
Then I opened xkcd.com.

I had shivers running down my spine. And spent the next three hours looking for any bugs or hidden webcams. Thank you, you've turned me into a basketcase. I await the kind white men.
I am serious. As much as the internet is filled with boasts and trolls ... I'm staring at the highlighted folder item right now ... It... Knows I'm here …
"

E5 - several posts had this, and I chose this one.

"I... I don't think I quite understand the joke here."

A1 - I almost skimmed past it the first time, but this post has it. :-)

"Darmok and Jalad at Kalenda's is part of Randall's joke setup - the computer explains it as an after-party they had."

#903 - Extended Mind

Ughh, why did I read this. So many people posting lists of Wikipedia articles. Yes, we know 93% of Wikipedia articles have a chain of links that ends up in 'Philosophy'. You don't have to show us every time it happens, yeesh. And so, I just had to tick off D3, even though no one actually said 'I love this game', but since it motivated about 75% of the discussion, so yeah.

#904 - Sports

Boring! Although the quote pyramid was rather spectacular. Here's how big it got in the end.

Just to note, I've changed the squares A5 and D5 to better reflect what the forums have to say. The board's still skewed towards the left side. Maybe one day the forumites will explain why.

2 comments:

  1. Wow B2+C3. You know, I really hope you're just an excitable person who gets shivers about a lot of things, and that it's NOT just xkcd that does it for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Imagine what would happen if a pretty young thing crept up on him one day, leaned towards his ear, and breathily whispered,

    "xkcd."

    Would he hold it in? Would his spinal column be dissolved by such a forcefully blissful tremor?

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.